I’ve discovered that one of the hardest things about staying on a diet that restricts certain ingredients, (like the low carb, paleo-ish, wheat belly inspired thing that I’m doing) is that you can’t just grab a quick granola bar or cookie or other processed, wheat laden product when you’re hungry. Unless, you’ve done a little prep ahead of time. This week I made an Egg Casserole that is wheat free and delicious that I can keep in the fridge and grab all week for breakfast. It’s not really Paleo, because I did use cheese and a bit of milk, but you could leave those out or use an appropriate Paleo substitute.
Florentine-ish Egg Casserole
1/2 c Milk
1/2 c Shredded Cheddar Cheese, plus additional for topping
1 box frozen chopped Spinach (thawed and drained)
6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Grease a casserole dish ( I used a 9×13 and got a thin casserole, if you use something smaller, it will need to cook longer)
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the 10 eggs
4. Stir in the milk, cheese, spinach and bacon
5. Pour the egg mixture into the greased pan
6. Bake for 20-25 until cooked through
7. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted
Here’s how it looks when it comes out of the oven:
This really came out good. There’s a lot of spinach in it which gives it a fresh taste. I’d love to hear from a Paleo eater who tries this without the dairy! Enjoy!