If at first you don’t succeed, fail a little less the next time. Tonight I gave String Art a second try. I’m happier, but not quite there yet.
After my initial attempt, I did some more searches and I found a picture of a free form string art in a little boys room. For some reason, I didn’t pin it and I have never been able to find it again, but it was affixed directly to the wall instead of to a piece of wood or canvas. At some point I became I fixated on having the string art attached to something other than the wall. But, when I saw that picture, I thought I would give it a try.
I basically outlined a letter S on the wall with a pencil and then started adding nails. I realized as I was nailing that I would need to vary the distance of the nails depending on what part of the letter I was at. The tighter the curve, the closer together the nails needed to be to mimic the curve. I also realized while nailing that I now had 40 or so nail holes in my wall. Hmm. Interesting. Then I realized that if and when I paint that wall, I have no idea how I will paint behind the art. So, something to think about if you are thinking of trying this!
Once all of the nails were in, I used ombre embroidery floss as the sting. I loved this part. It was very relaxing, sort of zen like. After I had added a few layers of string, I stepped back and checked things out. That’s when I realized I wasn’t thrilled with the shape of the S. I like the top, but I would love the bottom curve to curve in a little more. It’s not terrible, but not exactly what I wanted. Not bad enough to start over, at least not right now.