If you want to plan an at home Valentine’s Date Night, I have the perfect, simple recipe for you. Restaurant Quality Sirloin Steak. I actually try to make this at least once a month because everyone in my little squad loves it and it’s actually really quick and easy to make. A very easy week night dinner.
So, first things first. What kind of steak do you buy? This is kind of important. I get my steak from my local Wegman’s. It’s Beef Sirloin Steak and it costs $9.99/lb. There is another one, a filet, that is a lot more expensive. (I bet it’s probably even more delicious than the $9.99/lb steak, but I will never know for sure because I will never spend that much money on food I have to cook myself. Mmkay?) Wegman’s very kindly portions the Beef Sirloin Steaks in a little vacuum sealed thing and the two steaks are less than a pound, so, for instance, the steaks I cooked tonight cost a little over $7 for two. Not bad and if you cook it right, you will love this as much as a steak you get at a restaurant, I promise. One thing to note when you buy your steak, you want them to be about the same thickness so that they cook about the same. I made four steaks tonight and one of them was a lot thinner than the other three and the thin guy got totally over cooked – no pink center. No bueno.
Restaurant Quality Sirloin Steak
2 Beef Sirloin Steaks (a little less than 1 lb total)
Garlic Powder (or, if you prefer onion powder, go for it)
- Heat an oven safe pan to medium/high on the stove and preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Sprinkle one side of the steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place a pad of butter on top of the steak
- Place the steak buttered side down in the hot pan
- Allow to cook 3-5 minutes. And DON’T touch the steak. I know it’s hard, you like to fidget with the food. Don’t do it, okay? 3 minutes for more rare steak and 5 for closer to medium well. I do 4 minutes for Medium (pinkish/red warm center).
- While the steak is cooking, sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder and add the pad of butter to the side of the steak that is facing up in the pan.
- Flip the steaks and pop the pan in the oven. Cook another 4-5 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and place the steaks on a plate to rest for about five minutes before eating. Don’t skip the rest. It does make a difference.
Your steak will be pink/red in the middle. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. If you really want totally well done steak, then you really don’t like steak and you shouldn’t waste your money buying it. For real. Well done steak is not tasty or fun to eat. Medium steak that is warm and pink/red in the center is delicious and and very fun to eat!
I’m not a big potato person, but there is something to be said for meat and potatoes. I made roasted red potatoes, but mashed would be fantastic. I serve this with Brussel Sprouts all the time, so I switched it up and went with sauteed peppers and onions.
This meal is such a hit and it really is super easy to do. I bet your special someone would think you really slaved over this for Valentine’s Day!